Monday, April 7, 2008

Our vacation

We went on our first-ever family vacation this past weekend. I use “vacation” in the loosest sense of the term, as we only took an overnight trip to Duluth, but it was the first trip of its kind since having kids.

Things actually went much better than I expected. There were only a couple of small blips. Such as five minutes after we got to the hotel room, Natalie was playing happily on the bed when I heard some rumblings coming from her diaper region. Ron started changing her as I went to the bathroom, and when I heard him say, “Becky, you’ve got to see this,” I thought I knew what to expect. No big deal, as I’d packed three outfits for her. But I was curious why he was making such a big deal out of a blowout – after all, this is a near-daily occurrence at our house.

I walked out of the bathroom, and Ron pointed towards the bed. I saw a large, wet yellow circle on the bedspread, which upon closer inspection, revealed itself to be baby poop. Luckily, the comforter was satiny so a handful of baby wipes cleaned that right up. Now if one of those investigative programs ever comes in there and shines a blacklight on the bedspread, there might be a big glow-y spot, but I did the best I could. Natalie had blown out through: 1) her diaper; 2) her onesie; 3) her jumper dress and enough poo still escaped to make a dinner-plate-sized mess on the bed. Oops.

Incident #2 took place at 3 a.m., when I awoke to hear Sammy saying, “I look out the window, Mommy!” It took about an hour to convince him it was the middle of the night, and we were really NOT going to get up right at that moment. We had a hotel room that was right on the lakeshore, so we had a beautiful view out of our window. The city lights were visible to our left, and the two lighthouses were just to our right. So it really was a beautiful view, although I was not inclined to get up in the middle of the night just to take another look. Sammy felt differently.

Since we were only there one night, and it’s too early for tourist season, we didn’t do too much. We visited the aquarium, and spent some time in Canal Park. It was about the only decent weekend we’ve had, weather-wise, so we really couldn’t have picked a better time to go.

Sammy’s favorite thing was chasing the seagulls. He never gave up until the poor birds, tired of being harassed, finally flew away. I got a few pictures of Sammy in hot pursuit, but I haven’t had a chance to take anything off the camera yet.

A good time was had by all. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment